About a week ago a friend asked me if I wanted a beta key to some new game. I didnt really know what it was about but I figured I’d give it a shot. If you haven’t heard of Smite, its somewhat of a mix between League of Legends and World of Warcraft.
First off, you’ll notice that in that picture is what looks to be an angry Zeus. If thats what you see, congratulations, you are correct. The basic idea of Smite is that you play as one of about 20 or so Gods in an arena very similar to the DotA or LoL map. The key difference between other MOBAs is that you play in the third person perspective, as you do in WoW. At first I didnt think it would really work out, but after playing a few games, it kinda grew on me.
The UI is pretty similar to WoW as well.
Without going in to too much detail, I’ll say what I think is good and what I think is no good about Smite.
1. If you’re big into DotA-likes, its a nice break from being teamed up with brazilians and losing all day.
2. Its always enjoyable to mess around with new characters with new abilities.
3. The games are fairly short (~30 minutes typically)
4. Most characters are pretty balanced (minus a few, Ill get into that soon)
5. The queues are fairly short, and I havent ran into too many DCs yet. Maybe 2 in 30 or so games.
6. The graphics are very nice aside from the poor rendering of creeps that are >100 or so feet away from you.
7. There is an auto-skill and auto-buy item option for new players.
8. I would say that the learning curve compared to LoL or DotA is very, very low.
9. The Gods are actual Gods from actual religions. Who doesnt want to run around killing Gods?
1. Ill start with the big one. The pure physical damage characters are broken. Kali, Artemis, and Bakasura are the big three. They are on par with others until late game. Once theyve built the cookie cutter items (again, more on that soon) they can easily sustain themselves with lifesteal and destroy entire teams.
2. The items are pretty meh. They are very similar to LoL. Theyre all “200 HP, 20% attack speed, 10% lifesteal”. Feel free to exchange lifesteal, attack speed, and HP with move speed, attack damage, magic power, etc.
3. The mini-map size is too small. Yeah, its a minor thing to the untrained eye, but considering in a game like this you need to watch the minimap like a hawk, it needs to be larger. Your player icon covers an area about 3x the size of your lane which conceals vital information.
Thats really all I have to say about it.
If you’d like a beta key, leave a comment or send an e-mail.